“The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” has been approved for a November release in China, Lionsgate said Tuesday.
The hotly anticipated sequel scored entry into the world’s second largest market for films just under the wire. As TheWrap reported exclusively last week, China has reached its quota of foreign films it allows to debut in its borders. An individual with knowledge of the situation told TheWrap, that it was not entirely clear what films had made the cut, but under a recent trade agreement, China only allows 34 foreign releases annually, with a particular emphasis on 3D and IMAX releases.
“Thor: The Dark World” is also believed to have scored a coveted slot, the individual said, and this month Warner Bros.